Wednesday 6 June 2012

Understanding of The Issue Towards Factory Farming

I chose this topic because I think it is important for people to be aware of what kind of food they are consuming. As mentioned before of what harm it does to us with pollution and additives. As a lot of people believe their food comes from the type of farm that treats their animals with respect and care. Which is only to be expected. Which is close to non existent. The research I have done has impacted my knowledge about the world and the issue. I  learned more about the topic and what really happens in the factory farms as mentioned in more detail in previous blogs.  It is sad that as a society we have come to treating animals with such low respect. Not only in factory farms but with animal abuse. As I see it animals are living organisms and deserve respect just as you and I. They may not be as high as we are on the food chain and may not be able to talk but in a recent research it was shown that animals do have feelings just as we do.


http://www.godsdirectcontact.org/eng/news/157/ss2.htm


Studies conducted by animal welfare researcher John Webster and his colleagues at Britain’s Bristol University. The experiments were done on pigs, goats, chickens and cattle. 




It a lot of ways technology has impacted our society in a good way unless you are talking about factory farming. If we didn't have the technology and the need for more produce the government wouldn't have been able to introduce factory farming in the first place. The government try's to produce for less without putting a lot of people out of a job. With factory farming they are able to produce for less while still giving a lot of people job by running the machinery and feeding the animals additives as well as cutting off animal parts such as chicks beak. From a personal experience in places such as Saskatchewan where there is less population, less technology, and media still have good farms.



4 comments:

  1. Emily- I really enjoyed getting to learn more regarding factory farming throughout these last few months of school. You're perspective is very similar to mine, and I completely agree with you're point on the lack of respect with give to animals. They are extremely essential to the food chain, and they must be treated with more respect. Do you believe this blog projects has altered you’re perspective regarding factory farming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selam, I'm glad you enjoyed and learned a lot about factory farming as did I. And I beleiev we do have the same perspective with its not about not eating meat it's about better living conditions and respect for animals. I don't think this blog has changed any of my views on factory farming. I chose this project not only to get the word out about factory farming to to learn more about it as before i knew it was happening but didn't know much about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I feel the same way as Selam. Your blog has really made me more aware of the food I consume. I even find myself thinking at times, "should I eat this?"

    I'm just wondering if you could go more into detail about the farming process in Saskatchewan. From what you said, it sounds as though Saskatchewan could be a model for the type of farms we want to replace factory farms with.

    You brought up the point that " in recent research it was shown that animals do have feelings just as we do." I'm curious who conducted this research, and which animals were tested. Do you think bringing this research to the government would make them rethink the factory farming process?

    I just want to mention that for the past week I volunteered at the petting farm. One of the animals I took care of was a calf named Toby. He was extrememly adorable and loved to be pet on the head. This really got me thinking about the points you brought up around how farm animals aren't treated equally as let's say, dogs or cats. Taking care of Toby made me realize that he's not just FOOD, he's an animal who deserves more than to be slaughtered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mina, I'm glad to hear that in everyday life you were applying my blog to your knowledge. I myself think about "should i really eat that?" all the time since i have done this project. When i used to eat meat i felt guilty knowing what happened to the animal before hand and didn't enjoy my meal.

      I have family members who are farmers and own their own farms in Saskatchewan. It is beautiful to see, animals running around free, eating what nature has provided for them, with normal size/looking animals. If you look at were your "all beef hot dogs" come from, some are from Saskatchewan. I do see Saskatchewan as a model. They all believe in buying as less product as possible and grow as much as they can themselves. And more importantly still have good farms.

      http://www.godsdirectcontact.org/eng/news/157/ss2.htm
      Studies conducted by animal welfare researcher John Webster and his colleagues at Britain’s Bristol University. The experiments were done on pigs, goats, chickens and cattle. Again I don't think that the government would care because that would mean spending more money.

      Delete